Neuritis ( VATAJ SHULL ) is a general term for inflammation of a nerve or the general inflammation of the peripheral nervous system.
In ayurveda it is called VATAJ SHULL. There is a good description of it in both CHARAK SANHITA and SUSRUT SANHITA.
- Mechanical – injury, pressure in nerve cell
- Vascular –occlusion or hemorrhage in to nerve cell
- Infection –micro organism infection in nerve cell
- Toxic –chemical poisoning, alcoholism
- Metabolic –vitamin deficiencies, pernicious anemia, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis.
- Mental tension
- Paresthesia (pins and needles)
- Paresis (weakness)
- Hypoesthesia (numbness)
- Disappearance of reflex
- If it becomes chronic then it converts in anesthesia ( paralysis)
Neuritis may be classified according to the number of nerve affected
According to ayurveda main two types of neuritis are well known these are as follow.
- ANANT VATA SHULL (TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA)
- GRUDHRASHI SHULL (SCIATICA)
TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA:- ANANT VATA SHULL
Treatment is available at Dr. Amina’s royal ayurveda… Read more
SCIATICA: -GRUDHRASHI SHULL
Sciatica is a neuropathic disorder caused by damage of sciatic nerve. In this disorder the pain is felt in the lower back, buttock and/or various parts of the leg posterior till foot. The pain can fluctuate widely. It may feel like a mild tingling, dull ache or a burning sensation. In some cases the pain is severe enough to make a person unable to move. It often starts slowly. It may get worse
- After standing or sitting
- At night
- When sneezing, coughing or laughing
The pain most often occurs on one side. Some times can be bilateral occurring on both sides. TEST:-Pain down the leg can be reproduced by lifting the leg straight up off the examining table. In ayurveda CHARAK SANHITA has mentioned sciatica as a disease called Grudhrashi shull.
Treatment is available at Dr. Amina’s royal ayurveda…
OTHER TYPES OF NEURITIS
For Neuritis we have two types of treatment